2020 has introduced the new normal of wearing masks for every individual. From the newly introduced norm of remote work and virtual education to the maintenance of six feet of social distance, everyone has faced a different form of drastic change in their life.
One thing that has been imposed as a precautionary measure on the top of millions of other things is masks in all social gatherings.
The face masks have been enforced to reduce the spread of the virus and social distancing and proper hand hygiene. It is recommended that people wear masks in public and interact with others who do not share your residence place.
Masks are cumbersome for young children and individuals with special needs.
But those capable of wearing the masks on their own are often too hesitant to ask about the proper etiquette for the use and disposal of these masks. Here is a quick guide on how to use masks properly.
Protocols For Wearing A Mask
When you wear a mask, it is necessary to follow the guidelines provided by the World Health Organization:
- Make sure that your hands are properly washed and sanitized before you put on a mask.
- You must place the face mask over your mouth and nose and secure it beneath your chin to maximize protection.
- Be mindful of a snug fit against both sides of your face to avoid cross-contamination from your hands due to the need for constant adjustment.
- Ensure that you breathe with ease without the fear of suffocation due to your face mask’s coarse material.
How To Protect Everyone?
Here is how you can make appropriate use of a face mask to protect everyone around you.
- Choose a mask that adequately covers your mouth and nose to protect others in your surroundings if the virus has infected you.
- A mask should always be used when in public settings while being careful of the six-foot distances ordained by the WHO.
- Do not place your mask on your forehead or around the neck.
- Avoid touching the mask. In case you need to connect your face, remember to wash your hands for efficient disinfection.
How To Dispose Of The Mask?
Mask disposal is a responsibility as you cannot afford to be delinquent about the subject.
- Stretch the ear loops or untie the strings behind your ears.
- Handle the mask by the external loops or strings only.
- Fold the outside corners of the mask together securely.
- Wash the masks in the machine.
- Be careful to avoid touching your mouth, nose, or eyes while removing the mask.
- Remember to wash your hands immediately after the removal of the mask.
While 2020 shows no signs of disappearance from our lives, it is time for us to embrace it while we move forward. It is time for us to start being careful with the use of masks and also their disposal.